Sunday, April 19, 2009

Vicky Christina Barcelona

So I just rented this On Demand last night and it was a film I'd wanted to see when it came out in the theaters. I wouldn't call myself a fan of Woody Allen's - I think he has an interesting (yet predictable) aesthetic, and sometimes it hits, and sometimes it misses. This one.....landed somewhere in the middle.
It centers around two friends, Vicky and Christina, twenty-somethings on a summer vacation in Barcelona. Personally, I loved the shots of various parts of the city and, if anything, it just made me want to go back and explore Barcelona more. So the backdrop for the film is certainly incredible. However, I found the characters of both Vicky and Christina a bit one-dimensional. I could almost predict what each one was going to do at any given moment. But that's not to say I didn't enjoy the film.....it's just that I was hoping for a bit more.
Vicky is a somewhat uptight, by-the-book, soon-to-be-married intellectual just interested in the architecture of the city and, apparently, being a tight ass killjoy. Christina is, seemingly, the antithesis of Vicky and I never quite figured out why on earth these two ever became friends, let alone traveled together. But whatever, friendship comes in all forms. Anyway, Christina (Scarlett Johansson) is a free-spirit, flightly, daring, lost soul looking for a little excitement and the exact opposite of monogamy and marriage.
Enter: Smokin' hot Javier Bardem. For those of you who saw "No Country for Old Men," this will be quite a change as far as Javier playing a sexy Latin artist rather than a homicidal killer. He quite wonderfully plays Juan Antonio, a passionate, shockingly honest, complicated painter with a crazy (super crazy) ex-wife (Penelope Cruz) who adds quite a pleasant flare to the movie. I can see why she was nominated for an Oscar (and won!).
Anyway, in case you see it I don't want to give away the plot....but I can say that when the movie was over I thought "Well...huh." It was well done, fairly well acted, entertaining, and not too long (under 1.5 hours). But I was left wondering what I was supposed to feel. But maybe I was just expecting something that it wasn't.
I started to think of who would like this film and I think maybe Amanda, but that's probably it. Again, I enjoyed it, but it's not the rousing film I had heard and expected it was.
So...there ya' go!

No comments:

Post a Comment